Sunday, 16 August 2026

Damp Squib


What a damp squib that eclipse was, the media had whipped the nation into a frenzy of excitement and it's been a long time since I've been excited. I was expecting total darkness with falling temperatures, confused birds singing the dawn chorus at half 7 in the evening, none of that happened, well, not in the North West anyway. Lets hope the 2090 eclipse will be better!

Can you see the yellow orb on the tarpaulin next to Carmen's cake mixer? If you look at it closely you can just make out the eclipse.

There I sat one morning, perched on the edge of the mattress like a gargoyle starring blankly out of the window, I was waiting for a surge of energy to carry me to the bathroom. I blinked, then rubbed my eyes and blinked again, there appears to be a dolphin swimming in the sky, it was very close too, coming to my senses I grabbed my phone and took this snap, it turned out to be an Airbus Beluga XL delivering aircraft componets to nearby Hawarden (pronounced Harden) *blushes* airport also known as the local landing strip for posh people with private aeroplanes.
 
It wasn't easy choosing a song from the Cocteau Twins one of my favourite bands from yesteryear, Frou-Frou Foxes in Mid Summer fire, seems to be apt considering the circumstances, I don't know about you but I'm very suspicious about those so called 'wild fires' that are sweeping across Europe. Love's Easy Tears is another favourite of mine.
   
 
Even AI is struggling to decipher the lyrics. You're the match of Jericho that'll burn this whole mad house down are the only intelligible words in the song.

I've learnt another Welsh word. Hen (pronounced Hean) it means Old as in Hen Golwyn (Old Colwyn) I saw it on a road sign en route to Llandudno. 


11 comments:

  1. The Eclipse was better in the South West, but didn’t reach the giddy heights of the hype. At least you have an orb! I will know what to expect in 2090 and will be prepared.
    How big is Carmen’s oven?
    What are you finding suspicious about the fires?
    you can learn a lot from road signs.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had thought about it I could have watched it live from Weymouth beach via YouTube. It's not the size of the oven it's the ingredients she uses Victoria sponge recipe: 1part of cement and 2 of sand. I've got a heightened sense of awareness and believe nefarious activities are at play. I've learnt about 15 Welsh words since living up here Bws, Araf, ddim and I have been greeted with a "Bore Da" in a shop in Llangollen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you had any luck chasing down young, lusty Welsh louts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been chased a few times at a sauna in Northwich a place I was convinced was in Wales, its not, but I'm sure one of the pursuers must have been a lusty Welsh lad I didn't like to ask I was brought up not to talk with my mouth full. Living so close to the Welsh border I feel more of a Sioned than a Mitzi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crikey! It's amazing that something that size can hold itself up! I'm talking about the Beluga, not Carmen's cake mixer (remind me I'm on a diet if she offers a slice).

    Your crescent looks slimmer than mine, so at least it was better for you than it was for me. We'll all have to meet up in 2090 for the next one. I'm sure it'll be here before we know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took another one of it yesterday against a blue sky it stands out more, if it had been a passenger plane you could have waved to the people on board.

      Have you ever had a mouth orgasm? That shudder of pleasure you get when you're about to swallow something that has stimulated all the taste buds at the same time. I made some chocolate brownies (from a packet) and I added some chopped pontefract cakes to the mix and it was a taste sensation. I just thought I would share that with you.

      Delete
  6. All I noticed was that the light changed, the colours got a silver streak / tinge, looked like a 70s fillum about a bad trip.
    Did it ever cross your mind that these Welsh people just mumble nonsense to wind up the non-Welsh ? A possibility, at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A really dreary film directed by Ingman Bergman.

      Yes it has crossed my mind, like the Scots abroad, you often see them in Spain wearing kilts and rolling their Rrrrs in a theatrical manner, so people won't mistake them for being English. There was a couple in a cafe in Mold she was speaking Welsh and he was answering her in English.

      Delete
  7. A friend of mine went all the way to Iceland to see the eclipse, but she accidentally took the Pacific Northwest weather with her. It was hot and they got sun-burnt, in Iceland!?!? during there first few days there only to get rain and clouds for the main event. Wamp-wamp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several years ago the maid and I had a day trip to Iceland from Humberside airport, they took us to some sulphur springs in gale force wind, they showed us a waterfall enroute, the sun came out so they took us to a boring museum, we had a bite to eat in there, it boasts an observation deck but it looked more like an airport departure lounge, then we had some free time in Reykjavik and then the piece de resistance, the Blue Lagoon because it was included in the itinerary, it snowed, this was in May. Then back home. Its a dreary place but enjoyable.

      Delete