Thursday, 17 September 2026

Thoroughly Scrubbing Carmen

I found my maid of all work Carmen, on her hands and knees, no she wasn't entertaining a gentleman caller this time, she was scrubbing the kitchen floor and using far too much bleach for my liking. Every so often she'd pause, grip the edge of the bucket and give a dramatic shudder, I questioned her about the theatrics, she told me that she seen a cockroach on the kitchen floor "It ad eyes on stalks looking at me" (antennae). I stared at her in astonishment, a cockroach in Chester, do we even have them in Cheshire? Manchester, maybe, but not in Chester, I refused to believe it, she told me she had stunned it with a magazine (Country Life) and chucked it outside if I want to take a look, and there it was, on the lanai. It wasn't a cockroach at all it was a harmless sap feeding shield bug, probably brought in on the washing she left outside to dry using the indoor clothes horse. I was about to share my findings and ease her poor traumatized mind when I noticed she still got half the floor to clean and quite frankly I've never seen her this active since... ever.
After taking this photograph (for google lens to identify) I nudged it gently with my foot, the thing latched on to my sock and shot up my leg.

               

No comments:

Post a Comment