Sunday, 28 June 2026

A Bit of Mold

The maid and I visited Mold on Wednesday or if you're Welsh and that way inclined, you would call it Yr Wyddgrug (pronouced erwithgrig meaning The promient mound) despite its horrible sounding name it's actually a very nice market town in north Wales, the weather was boiling, I drove topless! I bought a rug for the kitchen/dining area from the outdoor market, if anyone asks its from Lewis's.

Poundland with it's view of the Clwydian hills the same range can be seen from Carmen's bedroom window. I don't know who the scrubber with the pink hair is, she is not with us.

Saturday in Chester.

Photo taken inside an overpriced cafe, situated along the bridge near the fancy clock. The sign above the window boasts 'The Best View In Chester' shall we take a look?

I wouldn't call that the best view in Chester. My phone lets me delete anybody in my photos that I find to be undesirable, that's why in parts it looks a bit patchy, if only I could do that in real life.




A list of 'to do' jobs for the building site manager, as requested. Scarlet will be green with envy when she sees my beautiful copperplate handwriting. In retrospect I think it would be wise if I typed it out and rephrase number 3.


For your listening pleasure.  A 1970s North African disco classic. It's joyous.
You might of heard it on the telly advertising a train company, the one with the roller skating tortoise.








19 comments:

  1. I like that song. Thankfully I have no idea about the advert.

    "A Poundland in Mold". So romantic. It could be a bardic poem.

    And no, I don't think a porthole view of a pedestrianised precinct is "the best view in Chester" either! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was driving out of Wrexham the other day I saw something that made my heart gallop, a Home Bargains cafe! I'll go in it next time, I hope they do chips.

      The view was an anti climax as was their rhubarb and custard ice-cream.

      Delete
  2. I can’t figure out a lot of your handwriting - I feel like a failure! What the hell is going on with your manhole? Not secured?
    Overall it’s a fairly short snagging list - you’ve done well!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Manhole not screwed, I'm the failure when I can't understand 90% of my own handwriting, a bit like Norman Collier and his broken mic routine. I've done most of the little snagging bits myself, like filling in cracks around the light switches and I have had more electrical sockets fitted and properly placed, they had put them in the middle of the wall where the sofas go, very odd.

      Delete
    2. I think all new builds have to have sockets half way up the wall for wheelchair users and for people with disabilities - and they are probably very useful if you have a bad back! I guess they’d be out of the way of small children, too. I think I missed my true vocation in health and safety!
      Sx

      Delete
    3. They are no use whatsoever to anyone, disabled or otherwise, when you have a big heavy couch in the way, you'll have to use extension leads, or pull the couch out everytime you need to plug in the hoover. I didn't explain the location of the sockets properly they sit at normal height, about a foot above the skirting boards but are situated lower centre of the wall.

      I can imagine you wearing a hard hat and hi viz clothing, carrying a clipboard and pen sucking your breath over your teeth and tutting disapprovingly at something petty. One of the perks of being a health and safety officer is you'll be able to take bribes off HoMO owning landlords.

      Delete
    4. I can't believe I said couch instead of sofa.

      Delete
    5. God, I would love it, my ideal job!
      Anyhow, centre of the wall sockets - yes that does sound daft - probably located there with wall mounted TVs in mind.
      I don't think I've ever used the word 'couch'!! Other than in couch-potato.
      Sx

      Delete
    6. As a would be health and safety officer can you please tell me why fly spray isn't killing flies anymore, I bought a can of Sanmex from Home Bargains the other day and it's absolutely useless.

      Delete
    7. I spray flies with a mix of water and vinegar and then wipe them up with kitchen roll paper. They are usually on the window when I do this so the window also gets a clean!
      Sx

      Delete
    8. After watching a bee keeper on TV blow smoke into a beehive to calm them down I did the same to a fly that was rattling around the kitchen window, it worked I was then able to pick it up with tweezers and feed it to a spider outside. That was many years ago when I smoked.

      Delete
  3. Do they charge Welsh people extra per vowel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allwch chi ddychmygu chwarae Scrabble yn y Cymraeg? I hear it on a daily basis and it sounds like someone talking with their tongue glued to the roof of their mouth, I am picking up the odd word I see on road signs Araf means slow and in a cafe I visited the other day in Tarporley (Cheshire) called latte Da the Da means good. I bet you will sleep better tonight, knowing that.

      Delete
  4. I'm a little perturbed about "Downpipe - bottom needs filling"... But it's good to hear that Mold is actually very nice. I wonder if places with horrible names make an extra effort to be nice places to visit/live? Penistone. Shitterton. Bitchfield. I could probably stomach Nether Wallop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been to Penistone. It didn't live up to its name. Not a penis to be found! Jx

      Delete
    2. The 'downpipe bottom pipe needs filling' was one of Carmen's gripes, she had to add her 10 pence worth, I went out to exam it and discovered they had cut out a square into the concrete for the pipe, it was nothing I filled it in myself with gravel.

      We visited Knutsford yesterday, where the poor people live! Rimswell in East Yorkshire when we visited a few years ago was a huge disappointment, it's not a place to stop.

      Delete
  5. Sorry, I do not understand it : What is wrong with the word "couch" ? Is "sofa" more "classy" ? In German I can not see a difference in meaning and use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sofa, couch, settee or suite call them what you like, it's all bums on seats, however, it's very telling to one's social standing if you pick the wrong noun. Sofa is what the Royals call a couch anything else is considered colloquial, up north where I hail from, people are less giddy in the head, they call them couches or settees pronounced Set E with a glottal stop. All furniture shops call them Sofas.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the explanation. Sorry, I'm too knackered to sign in. A Free Franconian greets You - ha !

      Delete