Sunday, 14 June 2026

The New Garden

It looks almost identical to the last garden I had, minus the summer house, you can't tell from this angle but the garden slopes down considerably, work begins on laying a patio next month. Not a day goes by without hearing the Welsh language or a scouse accent, it's the latter I'm subconsciously picking up on I said 'nor en' to the maid this morning instead of saying 'nothing' which is a great worry. Mitzi with a scouse accent, doesn't bear thinking about. 

Shall we take a look over the garden fence?

Natural beauty. 

24 comments:

  1. Good to see that you’re getting some sprinkler action. You certainly have your work cut out. Do you have a plan?
    I sometimes hear a West Country twang in my accent, which sounds peculiar with the rest of my mangled vowels! I keep watching Eastenders to remind myself how I’m supposed to sound.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photo was taken on the second day I moved in, since then it's had two cuts and the turf has knitted together beautifully, my mind is a bit like unravelled knitting at the moment, all frayed and knotted I think it's because I've not quite settled yet. No plan regarding the rest of the garden, just the patio. I've always got Lee and Jenny from Goghlebox to fall back on if things become too Brooksideish.

      Delete
    2. I don't know why my reply to your comment ended up below Jon's.

      There are some dark forces at play.

      Delete
  2. A patio's a good start... This time next year, Mitzi, you'll be getting a visit from Arit Anderson and a feature on Gardeners' World! Jx

    PS Nice gnome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did consider going on Garden Rescue in the hope of getting Chris Hull to design it for me but didn't want to take the risk and end up choosing between Charlie Dimmock and make do and mend Flo Headlam, bug hotel and hedgehog sanctuary galore, no ta, it would go straight over the fence once the filming had stopped. He's adorable I bought a Dubai cheesecake from Home Bargains yesterday it was vile I flung it over the fence for him to feast on..

      Delete
  3. The photo was taken on the second day I moved in, since then it's had two cuts and the turf has knitted together beautifully, my mind is a bit like unravelled knitting at the moment, all frayed and knotted I think it's because I've not quite settled yet. No plan regarding the rest of the garden, just the patio. I've always got Lee and Jenny from Goghlebox to fall back on if things become too Brooksideish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful and HUGE blank slate to work from. I had to google Chris Hull after you mentioned him, he seems perfectly charming. Then I wound up pushing my luck and googled "Chris hull nude" because you never know. Man, was that scary.

      Delete
    2. I had to Google too and was met with a big fat man wearing a string waisted posing pouch, I typed Chris Hull gardener naked, no joy there either. I don't know if you're familiar with Garden Rescue if you are you'll remember the Rich Brothers that used to be in it, there is a photo of them naked, however they are covering their bits up with fig leaves. If you're searching for a naked photograph of Lee Burkhill you might be greeted by a big hairy fanny, cause he's a F2M. Then there is Charlie Dimmock in the late 90s to the early 2000s she used to garden without a bra on her nipples would show through her top, no me neither thank you very much, my dad liked her though.

      Delete
  4. No sign of unruly bushes on the property.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes my front entrance has been bashed about a bit by the builders and as a result the 'Red Robin' they had planted has suffered, I'm not losing sleep over it, in fact I'm glad of an excuse to dig it out and replace it, perhaps with something more tasteful like a dwarf Mugo Pinus, I don't like Hebes they have planted either.

      Delete
  5. You definitely need some moles here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm all for attracting wildlife to the garden but not bastard moles and I can do without moths too coming in and flapping about inside my bedside lampshade when I'm in bed trying to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These moths of any kind are a pest when one reads in bed !
      I can only open the window sometime after I switched the light off, thanks to the re-naturating efforts of the village authority, resulting in a pond that nurses not only tons of frogs, but also mosquitoes - and, to be fair, beautiful Libellen, butterflies, and stuff.
      I spoke to people, who us these nets, or mesh, before the open window, but most of them said that they felt that not enough fresh air comes in - of course unwanted insects stay out, but you have sticky air in yer bedroom, bah !

      Delete
    2. Same here. The UK has many native species of mosquitoes but I've never been bit by any of them, unlike in Spain, they're savages. We should move to Iceland, the home of the midnight sun, I bet they're not pestered with moths and the likes. Not a fan of the mesh, for the reasons stated. Another thing which is like Japanese water torture to me, my bedroom door would knock in the slightest breeze, for years I had wedged a folded up toilet paper tube in the door to stop it happening, a man came down to service the boiler (not Carmen) in the airing cupboard, he saw the thing in my door, I told him what it was for, he took a flat headed screwdriver and did something in the hole in the jamb and fixed it in 10 seconds.

      Delete
  7. You certainly have some spectacular wildlife on the other side of your fence. Have you thought of cutting a hole in it like a hedgehog hole to encourage it into the garden?

    P.S. Only a patio? Aren't you having a lānai like your last house's?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It'll be known as a common patio until I feel more settled, when I know who'll be moving in next door, in the meantime I'm on tenterhooks, I won't live next door to undesirables. I think the fence panels slide up, I could prop one up at night and encourage the wildlife in with tasty tidbits. Failing that have a gate put in, I think I would like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, the joys of having "undesirables" as neighbours. It's the reason we moved from the last place - a flat in a converted house - when a gang of East Europeans and their elephantine "demon spawn" moved in above us, who created noise from dawn to gone midnight.

      Now we have another expansive family of similar in the adjacent flat, and they have been fraying my nerves for a while now, to the point I had a stand-up row with the purported "head of the household" (the idiot father of the noisy children)! I won (of course) and we have entered a detente. My mere presence in the garden can strike fear into them. Good! Jx

      Delete
    2. Shall we all live in the same close one day? That would be fun wouldn’t it?!
      It’s really tense waiting to find out what the neighbours are like. I’m sorry to read that happened to you Jon, I’ve also moved a couple of times due to noisy neighbours. Living next to a dairy farm is quieter!
      Sx

      Delete
    3. We have often described our current situation, when the spawn are all screaming on the trampoline, or for any other reason, that it is like living next to a zoo. Or a circus. Jx

      Delete
    4. I, too, am waiting for my new neighbours to show up. I'm trying to quell my anxiety in the meantime.

      Delete
    5. The neighbours next door are having a garden party I can hear prosecco corks popping every half hour. I'll go out shortly and search for a knot in the fence so I can peer at them closely. It is a worry.

      Delete
    6. Film them and make a blog post, and we shall judge.
      Sx

      Delete
  9. I hope you don't have to share your garden with those trampoline bouncing 3rd world parasites.

    You have all my sympathy.

    ReplyDelete