Sunday 16 June 2024

The Gift of Tat

It's Pat and Roz's big day they are getting married. These beautiful, elegant, rotating, wind-up musical lesbians would look exquisite in any parlour and a bargain at only £8 each. Roz plays the lesbian classic Love and Affection by Joan Armatrading and Pat plays Hedonism by Skunk Anansie.

Mitzi's top tip, when visited those types of establishments it's useful to have  a pencil with a rubber end in your back pocket or if you're common behind your ear, that way you can rub out the original price and add your own.


A jilted woman's bridal gown is another woman's cut price dream wedding dress.

For Mr DeVice. A Fanny Full of Flowers (back right, wearing a coolie) is the work of unrenowned artist Humphrey Bunion, hand crafted in finest salt dough, adds a touch of elegance to any home.


Cat tat for Mr Peenee and Dinah

For Jon to remind him of home. Too Good To Be Forgotten... I wonder what Amazulu are up to nowadays.


Tat for scarlet and Mago.

More tat for Scarlet as requested. Baskets can be silent or creaky, personally I like a creaky one. Here's a collection of fine looking baskets ideal for an alfresco nosh in the park or for traipsing a mile and a half into a Devonshire village each morning with a shopping basket placed in the crook of your arm, telling everyone you pass that you shop local to keep the high street alive.

Carmen's collection of tat, she inherited from dead relatives, housed in the downstairs toilet.
.
For MJ not one of mine, but the thought was there.


All photographs were taken by Carmen who knows better than to question me, sadly she couldn't take a photograph of the swinging egg chair for MJ because there was a child swinging wildly in it, whilst the pandering parents stood about laughing in an affected manner, I was hoping it would come off it's hook, crash landing into the crockery opposite.


14 comments:

  1. I'm touched. Jx

    PS Amazulu split up in 1988, but their memory will never be forgotten. Much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I said 'For Jon to remind him of home' I meant about the Eastern European neighbourhood you mentioned in the last post, not because you have a house full of tat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, I AM tempted by the baskets - creaky or otherwise. I just wish I had a high street within walking distance to save, then I really could show off my green credentials!!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The picture quality isn't the best, I had left my phone in the car and I wasn't prepared to go back for it in the pissing rain, in retrospect I should have sent my maid to fetch it.
    Are you tempted by the trilby in pic 6? I know I am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, right ... thank you, dear Mitzi. Strange hat there, owls, walking sticks - is this a musical instrument right to the hat, or a hollow candle holder ? Seems to be made from some metal.
    What is that strange black puppet on the ground ? The one for the needles ?
    Like MsScarlet I could use one or two baskets, a large wicker basket, while the one I use for carrying garments around is slowly disintegrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hat I think is a trilby, popular with affluent country folk and market stall traders. I'm not sure what the metal object is, it could be an ear trumpet, I'll look out for it, the next time I go there. The golliwog would look like a street beggar high on spice if you haven't seen one before.

      Delete
  6. Get your rubber-ended pencil out, Mitzi, and mark down that Fanny Full of Flowers for me! Thanks.

    Oh, and I have just watched the final of last year's Great British Sewing Bee and can confidently say that the wedding dress is in the Victoriana style (which was popular on the red carpets in 2023, apparently).

    P.S. Don't tell Carmen, but I rather like the pattern on her inherited vase. The vase itself is hideous, but I like the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will, I think 50p is a fair price to pay. The dress is ideal for a Debutante ball. The vase is Hornsea pottery, imprest by John Clappison I've just looked it up, there is one on ebay going for £125 I won't tell Carmen, she's giddy enough, I don't like the black neck it would have looked nicer green, more pineapplesque

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for thinking of me and my cat. All of these photos are so evocative of thrift stores that make you long to wash your hands as soon as you walk in their door.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The mustiness hits you as soon as you walk in, reminiscent of a gay sauna.

    ReplyDelete