Sunday 3 May 2020

PlantNet

Limber up your green phalanges by pointing a camera at any flower, foilage, plant, tree, bark and fruit and this wonderful PlantNet app will tell you what it is and gives you advice on how to grow it. I give this app a 9/10 because it identified 9 out of the 10 plants correctly. I scanned a picture of my mother just to see what would happen and a picture of Cerastium  (Snow in Summer) popped up.

Waitrose's finest. Mammillaria Gracilis also known as the ‘Thimble Cactus’.

One it got wrong. It thought my Easter flowering cactus was a fuchsia. This is the same plant I had forgot to bring indoors one winter, it survived the Beast from the East, it got me thinking can these be planted outside? I might try it.

This was the mysterious bulb I found lying in the gutter, opposite the Yorkshire Trading Company in Driffield, it must have rolled out of a ripped bag from their outdoor display, I took it home and planted it up, and a month or so later it started to shoot, it has been identified as a Eucomis, Pineapple Lily.

14 comments:

  1. We don't have phones that have "apps" or such new-fangled ideas. However if we did I'm sure I could have fun pointing it at complete strangers to find out if they are indeed related to a Dead Horse Arum or Deadly Nightshade. Love the "mystery" bulb - Eucomis are lovely. Ours haven't even sprouted yet... Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I scanned my maid of all work Carmen and she's come up as a Ginkgo biloba tree.

      Delete
    2. Incredibly ancient, "often tall and slender, and sparsely branched; the crown becomes broader as it ages."

      Apparently.

      Jx

      Delete
    3. Spot on except for the slender bit.

      Delete
  2. I've seen Eucomis, they seem to do well here. I think they look like dildos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been over a month for me too, everything is dildoesque.

      Delete
  3. Please show us a picture of your mother - at least she didn't show up as the Thimble Cactus.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She'll do her nut if I put her on the internet. She has a look of a youngish June Whitfield, same white hair.

      I called round the other morning to the retirement village where she lives with some groceries and I was quite shocked by her appearance, her normally bouffant hairdo was completely flat to her head, she wasn't wearing an ounce of make-up and she had a strange, vacant look in her eyes, I found out by my mother's neighbour, who I also shop for, that they have been taking it in turns hosting illicit get togethers in each others flats til the early hours and they were all hung over.

      Delete
  4. I've taken my Eucomis out of the greenhouse now - and even put the the seedlings out. They're sitting on the paysho, I mean: the lanai.

    I think I'd quickly become all consumed by that plantnet app. Fortunately, like Jon's, my phone is too old and clunky now to cope with such things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had my heart set on it being a Calla lily, I'm not sure if I like them, we'll see when it flowers.

      Delete
    2. "Paysho" hark at Crystal Carrington!

      Delete
    3. I'm sorry, I can't hear you. My hair flicks (and shoulder pads) are blocking the sound.

      Delete
  5. Is there an App that will identify mysterious spots on my body in much the same manner? Not that I need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there are lots of them, including an app that detects dodgy moles. You might have an allergy, have you changed your soap/shower gel or your washing detergent? Don't google your ailments whatever you do, it'll frighten you to death.

      Delete