Wednesday 1 February 2017

Typhus Carmen


When Carmen developed  a rash on her legs, arms and body she put it down to having an allergic reaction to her new diabetes medication. However, blood tests have shown that my maid of all work has the early stages of Typhus a disease spread through the bites of lice and fleas, she's had it for at least 7 weeks which would tie in with our Benidorm holiday, thank goodness, I would hate anyone to think that I live in a rat infested midden. Typhus is very prevalent in Spain. Carmen is blaming a stray cat that was weaving in and around her legs at a pavement café, she was chatting away as normal (non frigging stop), when I noticed a look of terror on her face, pointing to her feet she told me in dramatic tones to 'get... rid... of ....it' judging by her reaction I was expecting to see a snake down there instead of a fluffy white cat with rummy eyes. It's like living with Dame Edith Evans. 

Carmen was given an antibiotic injection this morning and was told the rash would start to clear away in a few days, she was also told/warned by her superior that Typhus is a forbidden topic in the Flange household and if anyone should ask about her rash she is to say it's shingles. In the meantime I'm having one of these fitted in the front garden disguised as a lily pond.

13 comments:

  1. Oh, poor Carmen! Best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery!

    I recommend Plague doctor's outfit for Mitzi. You know, just in case!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The perfect outfit to wear for painting a red cross on my front door or for standing 10 feet behind her in public clanging a bell shouting 'unclean unclean'

      Delete
  2. Funny that you should write a rash post. I have a new rash.... and a new creature.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Scarlet: Oh! Oh! Pix please! The new creature, not the rash.

      Delete
    2. You'll be needing some ointment then, how about this a good all rounder.

      Delete
  3. I expect you'll be installing the "extra long and strong" model?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'll be going for the full body plunge so I'll need one of those sticks too with a hook at the end.

      Delete
  4. Ah come on - it's just lousy Fleckfieber, not real Typhus / typhoid - some rest, good tea, lysol and all will be fine. You could even consider to shower twice a week - but let's not overdo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BA - this came out pretty wrong - was I so drunk last night?
      Of course I meant that you could allow your domestique even two showers a week !

      Delete
    2. Of course you're right but after the stories I've been telling her (sehr Franz Kafka) she's shut herself away in the bedroom, refusing to come out until her rash has cleared, that's not going to get the washing up done or the beds made is it?

      Delete
  5. I hope carmen starts to feel better soon and she is still able to perform all her required duties without interruption

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's not poorly Princess she just has a rash, she's had worse, remembering the great crab infestation of 1999 whilst abroad in Gran Canaria. I made her sit on sheets of newspapers for weeks afterwards even though she had been successfully treated.

      Delete
  6. "Unclean. Unclean." is my favorite image you've ever come up with.

    ReplyDelete