Tuesday 23 June 2015

Bourbons and Ginger Nuts

 I visited York over the weekend, with my rusty maid of all work Carmen. I sent a text message to a friend who lives in the area asking if he wants to meet up at Monks Cross, I got a reply back saying he couldn't as he was waiting in for a delivery, but he insisted that we go over to his place for a cup of tea. It was only a brief visit. Once seated in his living quarters, he came in carrying three cups of tea on a tray with Bourbon and Ginger Nut biscuits arranged artistically on a side plate, his little Yorkshire Terrier Judy yapping expectantly at his heel, I suspected the biscuits were supermarket's own brand, simply because he called his dog Judy and not Judith, well never mind about that, at least he remembered the doily this time. I thought the tea had an odd astringent taste to it, I didn't like to say anything in case he was using cheap tea bags, when I got the chance, I asked Carmen if her tea tasted strange, she said it was fine. Anyway, I drank it out of politeness like you do, well, there was no nearby plant for me to tip into so I had no other choice, when my host left the room to go and answer the door, he left firm instructions not to feed her no matter how much she begs and pleads, as she is getting fat, not taking a blind bit of notice, I took a Ginger Nut, broke it in two and tossed it in the air, Carmen's teeth snapped together as she caught it in mid air. Poor Judy never stood a chance. As I was nearing the end of my cup of tea, thank goodness! I felt something touch my lips, I tilted the dregs and saw to my horror, a chunk of onion in the bottom of the cup. This would never have happened in Harrogate.




13 comments:

  1. I love a good ginger nut!
    Wait, what were we talking about again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. They're an acquired taste and quite hard, often, people like to put them in first until they go limp, but I'm always worried by doing so, a bit might drop off. I like to spread Nutella on mine and get next door's dog to come in and lick it off.

      Delete
  2. Looks like your friend could do with a good housemaid that actually washes the cups after entertaining... Ewww

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing, I have plant pots cleaner than his cups.

      Delete
  3. Maybe he mistakenly grabbed the Lipton Cup-A-Soup® instead of the Lipton Tea®?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More likely he grabbed a cup from out of a sink full of mucky pots. Lipton's tea you need about 10 of those in one cup to make a decent brew. My preference are PG Tips Pyramid bags.

      Delete
  4. I am a bit weird about stuff lurking in my tea. And it could have been worse... it could have been part of a well used Brillo pad.
    I am going to have to lie down now, as I am feeling traumatised.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you know how I felt sipping it. Made me feel quite bilious when I saw it there lying at the bottom of the cup.

      Delete
  5. Onion tea may well catch on. I once had clouds in my coffee...no wait...that wasn't me..
    I do favour a Ginger Nut but I also like Fig Roll which apparently makes me one of Satan's offspring.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a coffee with "Tip-Top" as my gran used to call it, otherwise known as evaporated milk. I'm one of Satan's offspring too as I adore a Fig Roll or two and I'm quite fond of a Party Ring and a Nice biscuit, pronounced Nice not Nice after the town in France but Nice as in Would you like a Nice biscuit?

      Delete
  6. A lesbian I know likes to put Nutella on her 'coochie' and lets the dog to lick it off. She hasn't mentioned what she'd do with an onion.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs love licking don't they? Cats do too, but they have much rougher tongues.

      Delete
  7. That is a revolting habit, isn't it, dropping an onion in a cup of tea. I once went to a car boot sale in Wrexham and drank from one of those funny little styrofoam cups and found a chunk of tuna in the bottom of the cup. My hands stank of fish for the rest of that ill-fated day!

    ReplyDelete